Sunday, October 16, 2011

Something finally registered

This isn't a post about registries, however, we did some of that today.

I had a minor weird health scare (I'm fine,  honestly) the other night, so we cancelled plans for the weekend and I laid around most of Saturday.  We woke up Sunday with plans to decide where we wanted to register.  We made our way to BBB, Bed Bath and Beyond.  Randy was surprised to hear that they had kitchen supplies, which I explained was the "beyond" part. We took in some good advice from our friends...the chef and the pastry chef (a husband and wife duo) and we took that mighty gun and shopped our little hearts out.

Needless to say, with everything else going on (with myself and everyone in my life), the whole experience was a little overwhelming.  And it was hard to listen the ladies sch peel, listen to the advice of our friends, listen to Randy's opinions and try to figure out what kind of mixing bowls I wanted to mix my future kids birthday cakes in.  It all sort of tied my life up in a little bow.  And I couldn't figure out what I wanted or where we were going to put it.  Randy had me worried about space until he picked out a counter top popcorn machine that we just "had to" register for.  I told him I figured my dad would buy it for him considering he also loves popcorn.  Although I can't imagine where on earth it's going to go.

It was just really overwhelming.  And then I sat down to work on the registry a little and saw this:


I was sitting there working on the registry, looked up and Randy winked at me.  And I started to cry a little.  I realized that it doesn't matter what bowl is sitting next to him, or the fact that the dog started to chew on our table (I know!) it matters that he loves me and I love him.  I thought about the future version of him as I looked at him sitting there working.  I pictured him with grey hair and the same crinkled smile he gives me and says, "Hi Pretty."  No matter what else comes our way, I've got the best person possible to figure it out with.  It doesn't mean things won't be hard sometimes.  I know they will, and sometimes they are hard now.  But it's through all of it that we will learn more and try and work and fight and love.  

I just realized that it's easy to get carried away, but I need to continue to  focus on the things that truly matter, my little family :)

Enough of a ramble for the evening.

Good night.

2 comments:

  1. I love this entry!!! I went through the EXACT same thing when we were registering - I wish now that I would have thought to tell you about it last week when you asked for advice on where to register. I didn't know a damn thing about thread count or how many towels I'll supposedly need or where the heck I was going to store the kitchenaid mixer that I just HAD to have (note - it's staying on the counter. There's nowhere else for it.)... and I couldn't believe how expensive "nice" things were and how many of them I supposedly needed. And how am I supposed to know what kind of flatware I want to use for the next dozen years? Regardless, I'm glad you had the revelation I had that all that really matters is you have Randy and he has you, and your new little family is going to be perfect no matter what mixing bowls you pick out. I couldn't be happier for you that you've found Randy and that even though your life is going a mile a minute - it's going a mile a minute in exactly the right direction. Lots of love to you friend! :)

    ReplyDelete