Monday, September 26, 2011

Charleston and Chance

 
So...(drum roll please)...We have a location and it is Charleston, SC. 
 
A very, very special location for my family and for me.  Luckily Randy is fine with having our wedding there and we will be getting married at my grandmother's church, followed by a reception at the Elk's lodge.  I grew up in that lodge.  I remember being a nine year old kid in my cousin Melanie's wedding and sliding around on the floor in my dress.  I can only hope everyone will love Charleston as much as I do. 
 
Part of the fun of it being in Charleston is that I'll be near to all of my family.  That means that my mom will (hopefully) have a lot of help with the details that I will not be there to help with.  My older brother has also offered to help us out.  He apparently has "wedding fever" which prompted me to get extremely excited.  I have no doubt that he will have my best interest at heart.  And he has an amazing eye for design.  It doesn't hurt that he is also our photographer, which means that he will KNOW what will look good on film (or digitally).
 
Can you tell I'm getting excited?
 
Part of the fun is wondering how the family will put some of my ideas together.  I'm totally okay with giving up some of the control about how things come out because I actually think it will be less stressful.  Which is part of my original vision of my wedding.
 
As far as invites go...I'm pretty sure they are going to be awesome.  We are still getting some quotes but I'm getting a littel geeked at the idea of using magnolia flowers in everything.  Which we can also incorporate into centerpieces and bouquets.  I've always been told that magnolias are part of my "southern heritage".  I also think they happen to be quite lovely.
 
As far as semantics, those will all have to get worked out later.  Transportation for our guests will be an issue.  We are thinking about looking for hotels near the airport to ensure that people will not have to rent a car.  We are going to try and help people save money where we can.  As far as everything else goes, we will be able to extend our guest list a little bit for two reasons.  1.Not as many people will be able to travel from Chicago, and 2. The venue is being catered by family and holds a ton of people.  All good things.
 
One other little tricky detail is that we have a new addition to our family.  A Golden Retriever Pup we named Chance.  Randy and I have been looking at pups here and there and after Kelly and
Dan's wedding (more to come on that too...) we hung out with some friends in the suburbs before we planned to head over to Randy's mom's house.  Instead of just bumming around we really wanted to check out pups again.  I don't know how to describe it but when I met this pup, he just melted me.  We bonded and connected.  I didn't want a male dog.  I didn't want long hair and I wanted a Weim.  But he fit the bill in personality and cuteness and he has the best demeanor...I'm already in love.
 
 
That being said, there's a moment when Randy was talking to the dog and I literally just melted.  I have a patient, loving and kind fiance.  He has really taught me so much in the last year about how to have confidence in love.  He's never jaded or mean or unfair.  I love the way that Randy loves. So now there is even more love in our little family.
 
Meet Chance Miller.  He's 8 weeks old.  He slept completely through the night without whining and still needs to be potty trained :)  But we love him.
 
So...as far as the wedding goes...we may be bringing our pal with us. After all it is a family event.
 
My friends Kelly and Dan got married this weekend and their wedding was extremely personable and about family.  It was very well done.  The message was loud and clear that it was about making everyone happy, fed and comfortable.  So great!  Plus all of the little touches that Kelly had planned just turned out perfectly right down to her hair and makeup.  The picture I have is blurry...but honestly that's how I felt about their whole wedding. It truly just feels like yesterday that they got engaged.  I'm so happy for them.  They were a wonderful bride/groom combo!
 


 
Next post:  Wedding Fever turns green

No comments:

Post a Comment